Monday, April 29, 2013

Clog Those Bases, Joey Votto.

I appreciate greatness on the baseball field whether it wears Dodger Blue or not. Hell, there are a few Giants I actually like. I know, I know. Blasphemy. One player who is so great at his craft that calling him great simply doesn't begin to describe what he does is Reds' first baseman Joey Votto. The man is an offensive machine and has such insane command of the strike zone that it baffles the mind.


I've wanted his autograph for some time but there isn't much supply and the heavy demand has prices sky-high. The above TriStar Prospects Plus Farm Hands minor league autograph was available and I put in a bid not expecting to win. You know the rest. I'm thrilled to be able to cross his name off of my Cardboard Bucket List, and even happier that Votto's entire auto made it onto the sticker.


Votto's career line is an outstanding .316/.417/.550/.967 to go along with a .wOBA of .413, and his ability to not make outs and get on-base is still undervalued by many in today's sports world. His Dodgers tie-in? The club passed on him in the 2002 draft, opting to go with James Loney. Joey also played for the Chattanooga Lookouts, then the AA affiliate of the Reds and now the Blue Crew's AA branch.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm still getting stuff together to scan for you, I haven't forgotten!

    It's written on my daily planner!

    ReplyDelete