Monday, February 28, 2022

Zack Wheat Pickup: 1916 Famous and Barr, Slabbed an SGC 40

I've acquired a ton of new Zack Wheats since I last showed my face around here. I've narrowed what I collect and desire to focus on the things that bring me the most joy -- and Wheat remains a focal point. Wheat played at a time when the great players offered lots to choose from due to brand-specific backs and today's card is a perfect example of that.

Hailing from the Famous and Barr offshoots of the Sporting News M101-4s and M101-5s, this beauty is a welcome addition and features a simple staged action shot of Wheat after he's released a throw.


The grade is solid and the card is more than presentable with obvious love from the previous owner(s). I really dig the font on the back. Famous and Barr Company was the "foremost" boys' clothing store located in St. Louis, with the locations within the fine print on the back.

The company was eventually acquired by Macy's.

2 comments:

  1. Cool card. I know the highlight is going to be adding a new 100+ year old card of a player you collect... but the research behind the store on the back is a very nice bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love the research behind it...an amazing aspect of the hobby I never considered when I first entered into it.

      Delete