Friday, June 23, 2023

An Unexpected Acquisition

Sometimes cards you're after never appear. Sometimes, they appear once in a blue moon. And every so often they show up in the most unexcepted of places. Today's piece of colorful cardboard falls into that final category and I truly did not have any thought that my eventual acquisition of one would come from a source like the one it originated from. I had reached out to one of the remaining Archer artists I needed for my Master Set of sketches and the end result floored me.


I wasn't all that surprised she was out of her Artist Proofs as I knew it was a long, long shot. However, I was shocked that she did have an Artist Proof sketch from her fellow artist in the set and fellow Archer employee, Stephen Slesinski. Stephen is a rare artist in the set but produced more sketches than any of the other rare contributors to the product. I had opportunities to acquire his artwork and never pulled the trigger. One collector stockpiled dozens of his pieces, so I was not sure I'd ever locate one.

I 100% did not ever expect to find one artist with another artist's sketch card, but lo and behold that is how this beauty of Cyril Figgis came to be mine. I spent a little more than I was hoping to but the story behind this is too cool not to own it. Knowing it crosses off one of the last remaining creative minds I need to have one from each artist made it a no-brainer.

Stephen is the Illustration Director on Archer after serving in other capacities earlier in his tenure on the show, and his artwork in Cryptozoic's product is top-notch. He's been behind the scenes for over a decade and 100+ episodes....I'm very happy to finally have him in my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment