Saturday, December 31, 2011

Trade With Henchmeister's Junk Blog: Former Dodgers I Wish Had Never Been In Anything But Blue As 2011 Closes Up Shop.

On a side note, I've listed my first ever item on eBay. The auction ends early tomorrow morning....check it out, especially if you're a New York Giants fan! Anyhoo, I completed my second trade with Chris of Henchmeister's Junk Blog. I sent him a new Jacoby Ellsbury, a Black Diamond Pedroia, an early Papi, and some assorted BoSox. My favorites that I received in return are below.


A numbered Carlos Santana rookie card, 071/999. Oh, what could have been. An interesting write-up on the back must be noted, since it has very little to do with Carlos, compared to what it should say. Which is, you know, anything and everything concerning the player on the front, not two guys who played over one hundred years prior to the release of the card. I'm ranting.


A second-year LT. Future Hall of Famer and always a welcome sight around these here parts. Kudos to Fleer for a great action shot.


A mini Manny, of the Piedmont Back variety. Manny as a Dodger cards are always welcome in my collection, considering he was one of the greatest Dodgers to ever swing a piece of lumber. While I was in Vegas, a guy I was playing against in a poker tournament started talking to me about the Dodgers (I had my LA hat on). One of the many questions he asked was whether or not the club would bring back ManRam. I informed him that no, that would not be happening for a myriad of reasons.


This is an entirely sweet Big Jon card, with a great portrait of the fireballer. I've made it no secret that I'm a huge and unabashed Jonathan Broxton fan, and I wish him all the best in Kansas City. I firmly believe the Dodgers should have brought him back, as his velocity returned after his rehab stint earlier this year before he was shut down. There was very little risk in bringing back a guy who was one of the greatest relievers in franchise history. But no, wasting money on garbage like Adam Kennedy and John Grabow is a far better idea Ned Colletti.


Finally, a sick black-bordered OPC card of former Dodger Hiroki Kuroda. Again, I question the motives and intellect of one Ned Colletti. You choose Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano over Kuroda? Unless Hiroki said he wouldn't return, Colletti Fail© strikes again. And even if Kuroda chose to leave for good, Harang and Capuano on two-year deals? Sheesh. I wish I had stuck with baseball. Anyhoo, I know a certain someone who loves him some 2009 OPC, so he has probably seen and busted more of this product than most of us combined.

This trade post sort of morphed into a Fave Five post, now that I've re-read it. It also marks the end of 2011, a great year in terms of solidifying my collection, especially the main portion of it. Thanks to each and every one of you who I traded with, each person who held a contest, each blogger and blog post that made me think, smile, and laugh, and every single person who makes collecting the wonderfully exciting and joyous outlet it is, particularly during some frustrating and difficult non-card times this year. Our community is an extremely generous and amazing one, and I'm thrilled to be a part of it. Here's to a fantastic 2012 in regards to both cards and life in general for everyone!


Thanks for the trade Chris!

No comments:

Post a Comment