Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fifty-One Shades of Cup.

Time flies is a phrase I heard growing up, and it's a phrase I've found myself saying increasingly with each passing year. That might be because I procrastinate often, but after I entered high school, I really noticed just how quickly things moved, how the days turned to weeks, the weeks to months, the months to years.


Take this Ryan Getzlaf '05-'06 Heroes & Prospects Auto from In The Game, commemorating Getz's time as a member of the CHL's Calgary Hitmen. At the time of its release, Ryan was splitting his season between the then Mighty Ducks and their AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates, putting up 72 combined points in 74 total games and helping the Ducks reach the Western Conference Finals. Just a season later, Getzy was leading the (no longer Mighty) Ducks to the Stanley Cup, pacing all Anaheim skaters with 17 playoff points.


The Ducks' Cup win was a shocking five years ago, although it doesn't seem that long until I really think about it. Anyways, I absolutely love the card, especially Getzlaf inscribing his old number 51 and just how young he is, and the physical transformation he's undergone since this photo of him at 21 was taken. With every new addition to my Getzlaf Collection, I like to reflect on why he's my favorite player. Among the many reasons, the below stands tall.



No comments:

Post a Comment