Sunday, December 1, 2013

2011 Allen & Ginter: Ascent of Man

I don't normally scan in completed insert sets, but when I do, it's because they take me two plus years to complete and I want need that extra satisfaction of seeing it a second time around as it's scanned and displayed in all of its glory.


I recently completed the 2011 Allen & Ginter Ascent of Man insert set which was 26-cards deep and one of the more aesthetically-pleasing and well-done inserts I can remember. It is sadly not the last thing that needs completing from previous iterations of Ginter.


The reptiles card - upper right on the above scan and card number AOM 12 - is my favorite by far. It's just so colorful and jumps out at me every time I look at the set.


The OCD in me thinks Topps could have pretty easily come up with a 27th card to fill up that empty spot on the third and last page. But oh well.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice. I'm a huge fan of sets or subsets where the cards form a picture like those do every row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing up this set. Ginter insert sets take awhile to complete. I still need one more to finish the Ascent of Man set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is purdy and you're right, Topps should definitely made it it 27 cards. It's not like they've never heard of nine card pages. Heck, I bet they sell some (the binders anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Substitute your own card in slot #26 between the caveman and the modern day human. Something like Randy Savage, Mark Gastineau, or a full bearded Johnny Damon as a Red Sock. They fit between there pretty well....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dammit that's a brilliant idea GCA. I think I have just the "card" in mind....

    ReplyDelete