Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Welcome, Ian Yoshio Roberts.

One of the major 2014 Cryptozoic Archer collectors listed a number of his Archer 1/1 sketches some time ago. I had my eyes on quite a few and was able to win four separate auctions. Two happened to come from the hands of the same artist -- Ian Yoshio Roberts -- so it only makes sense to showcase them both in one post.


Roberts has a very distinctive style in the Archer release with the ink-blot/smoke-like colorful plumes behind each of his sketches. I was very excited to land this Cyril Figgis sketch. Cyril is portrayed by SNL alum Chris Parnell. The contrast of bold colors Ian used for this hand-drawn sketch are just fantastic.


The second Yoshio I purchased in this lot of auctions depicts Malory Archer, voiced by Jessica Walter. I really like how the background matches the penciled-in "archer" at the bottom of the card. I contacted Ian through Facebook to inquire about possible Artist's Proofs he had available. He had quite a few but unfortunately they are well, well out of my price range. That makes me even happier to own a couple pieces of his work. If his drawing of Woodhouse that I missed out on ever resurfaces, it shall be mine!

1 comment: