Tuesday, August 11, 2015

1950 Vending Machine Charm: Campy!

I'm always on the lookout for oddball items for my main PCs, especially the vintage ones. Occasionally things will pop up and be out of my price range only to appear months if not years later and be within reach. Today's oddball acquisition is one such item which I've maybe seen a half-dozen times at most. I had no real thought that it would remain within range but thankfully it did and I came out victorious when the eBay auction came to a conclusion. My newest Roy Campanella is this beaut:


According to the Standard Catalog these charms were released around 1950 and are listed as "1950 Charms" in said catalog. They came packaged in little plastic bubbles and were found in vending machines, which is totally awesome. The border around Campanella is more orange in-person and it's quite a small charm.

Per Bob Lemke in the 2011 Edition of the SC:
The date of issue for this novelty item is conjectural, based on known player selection. Packaged in plastic bubbles for sale in vending machines, these charms are found in several different shapes - rectangle, octagon, etc. - and colors of plastic. A black-and-white photo appears at center with a loop at top for hanging. Size also varies but is about 3/4" x 1-1/4". Players are not identified on the charm and there is no number.

1 comment: