Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Accepting The Begrudging Nature of Being A Player Collector Above All

I've always considered myself a player collector above everything else. I tackle one set a year (Ginter) and get the most joy out of finding a new card for my various primary player collections. But that also means I go after certain cards -- mostly autographs and rarer inserts -- regardless of whether I find them particularly appealing. They feature my guy and therefore I must eventually acquire them.


Such was the case when I came across this auto-dual patch card, numbered 2/5, from 2011-2012 Panini Titanium. The design while different is also lazy and wholly unappealing. A picture of Ryan Getzlaf is nowhere to be found on either side, the auto is a sticker, and the patches are essentially the exact same. This set reminds me a great deal of the Great Sticker Dump Tire Fire that was 2012 Upper Deck SP Signature Edition Baseball.

That being said it's still an auto with two patch pieces that is limited to a scarce 5 copies. On top of that, it's from a product that came out almost five years ago; I don't expect a ton of it to be broken anytime soon. So I resigned myself to landing it if the price was right simply because it's my guy and my collection would be incomplete without it.

I may never look at it again, but hey, at least I never have to devote any time or money to chasing one in the future. Small victories....

1 comment:

  1. It does seem like an after thought of a card.

    "Hey Frank!!! We need some more auto relics in the set, but we blew the Getty Images budget. Throw something together."

    ReplyDelete