Monday, December 10, 2018

A Rare 1 of 1 Vintage Roy Campanella: 1955 All-American Sports Club, PSA 7!

Today's one-card post is one I'm beyond excited to finally get posted. The below card was purchased raw in mid-January of this year. I stumbled across it on eBay and knew absolutely nothing about it or the set it came from. I did enough research to know the set existed, my guy was part of it, and it was rare to the point that VCP wasn't tracking it at the time. I decided to risk any possibility it wasn't real and make an offer. The seller accepted and I sent it off to PSA through work and waited.


And boy was I ever thrilled when it came back not only real but in a beautiful PSA 7 slab. This hand-cut Roy Campanella beaut hails from the 1955 All-American Sports Club set. The "cards" -- and I know some vintage collectors who dispute that these are in fact cards -- came on uncut sheets and featured athletes from numerous sports. The set is 500 deep and many have recently popped up graded by PSA as people find the sheets and cut them.

My Campy is the only PSA 7 in the population report and there is only one copy graded higher (a 9 that sold on eBay earlier this year). This is now the highest-graded Campy in my collection -- besting three PSA 6's -- and easily one of the most unique and rare pieces I own.

1 comment:

  1. Nice find! Congratulations on receive the awesome grade.

    ReplyDelete