Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Another Chunk of My 1962 Mars Attacks Set Build Is In The Books!

I was able to secure a nice group of cards from eBay a while back that inches me ever closer to completion on my 1962 Mars Attacks Set Build. These bad boys in PSA 4 form used to run roughly $20 a piece for the commons, but over time that grew to $35-40 a pop. That was too rich for my blood and I slowed in my chase, picking off one or two when they were solid deals. October proved to be a boon, however, and I landed all five of the below from the same eBay seller. Not one exceeded $35 and 60% were right in line with old pricing....much to my delight.


#16, Panic In Parliament, is first up. The artwork on all of these is truly legendary.


Robot Terror, card number 32, is the next piece I was able to land. It reminds me greatly of the beginning of "War of the Worlds," as mediocre a movie as that was from what I recall.


The next that arrived was Army Of Giant Insects, the 39th card on the checklist. This scene in a movie now would be pretty cool to witness.


Horror In Paris would likely be top ten in artwork for the entire set, or at least close to it. It comes in as number 41 in the iconic set.


Finally, Blast Off For Mars is number 46 of the 55 card run and features some of the tamer and less mind-blowing art -- although it is still fantastic as they all are.

These five get me to 20 of 55, a nearly 9% increase from where I previously stood. I continue to keep an eye out for more and know this will take years to complete.

2 comments:

  1. I keep reading that prices for graded cards have started to fall, so if true, maybe you'll be able to finish this one sooner than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the market has come down a decent amount from Covid highs. A few of these are still way up there but patience is something I can afford to have with this project

    ReplyDelete