Sunday, April 4, 2010

Dodger Blogger Fantasy Draft Review

This past Saturday, I participated in the Dodger Blogger Fantasy Baseball Draft I had mentioned a number of times over the past month or so.

We ended up with 12 teams, including 7 bloggers:
  • Lasorda from Sons Of Steve Garvey
  • Ferio and L-Ram from Juan Pierre's Oversized Hat
  • Joshua Fisher from Dodger Divorce
  • Shaun Garrison from Dodgers Rumors
  • M.Brown from The Left Field Pavilion
  • Myself
We filled the final 5 spots with commenters. Only Ferio and a couple of commenters were unable to attend the draft, which featured standard positions (C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P, 5 Bench spots) and categories (5x5: HR, RBI, Runs, SB, AVG, W, SV, K's, ERA, WHIP). The draft order was random, and I ended up with the second pick.

I'll review my draft, including some comments here and there, and link to the draft order so you can peruse through the picks, if that's your sort of thing. Maybe you enjoy looking at another man's fantasy team, maybe not. We are all excited by different things, and that's what makes America so great. Or something like that.

*I'd link to the draft, and tried, but I'm not really sure how to. Perhaps one of the other bloggers who participated could do so.*

Here's my team. Round, (overall pick), player, and position(s).

1. (2) Matt Kemp OF
2. (23) Joey Votto 1B
3. (26) Ryan Zimmerman 3B
4. (47) Billy Butler 1B
5. (50) Clayton Kershaw SP
6. (71) Adam Dunn 1B,OF
7. (74) Tommy Hanson SP
8. (95) Cole Hamels SP
9. (98) Elvis Andrus SS
10. (119) Carlos Gonzalez OF
11.
(122) Jay Bruce OF
12. (143) Carlos Quentin OF
13. (146) Miguel Montero C
14. (167) David Aardsma RP
15. (170) Jose Lopez 1B,2B
16. (191) Stephen Strasburg SP
17. (194) Chris Perez RP
18. (215) Ryan Franklin RP
19. (218) Phil Hughes SP,RP
20. (239) Francisco Liriano SP,RP
21. (242) Max Scherzer SP
22. (263) Blake DeWitt 3B
23. (266) Octavio Dotel RP


I took Kemp second, knowing he would not fall back to me in the second round. Too early? Perhaps, but one, this league has no entry fee, two, he's tied with David Wright as my favorite player, and three, I like risk sometimes.

In the 6th and 7th rounds, I had planned to take Adam Dunn and Manny. I took Dunn, and when the 7th rolled around, I realized I also wanted Tommy Hanson, so I took him over Manny. In retrospect, I should have taken Manny over Dunn, as both will contribute in HR, RBI, and Runs, but Manny's AVG will be higher.

Blake DeWitt will pick up 2B eligibility early in the season, and I like the flexibility and potential he adds to my roster.

My team is certainly young, but I like the balance and upside it presents, and if Strasburg lives up to half the potential he has and is up before the All-Star Break (and it's the Nats, so he will be), I like the price of getting him in the 16th round.

Feel free to comment on my team and critique it.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have participated. I'm in next year.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    I'll keep a spot warm for you.

    ReplyDelete