Friday, March 15, 2013

A Long-Awaited Redemption Replacement From Panini: Meh.

I purchased a redemption from eBay a long time ago for a Dominion on-card auto numbered out of 50 of Ducks' winger Bobby Ryan. Dominion is my favorite hockey product, Bobby is my second favorite hockey player, and the price was right, so it was a win-win-win for me. I waited and waited and waited some more until I finally found out from Panini that the cards had been lost somewhere along the way.


The gentleman from Panini I spoke to on the phone told me he had no Ryan autographs to send as a replacement and nothing Ryan Getzlaf but there was a really nice patch he could substitute. Panini's insistence on an even book value replacement bothered me but such is life, and I do enjoy sick patches. What arrived, however, didn't match the description and image I had in my mind.

The above patch has two colors, some stitching, and a seam, but to me it's not all that different from a patch numbered out of 25 or 50. The numbering on this card, though, is 10/10. That implies, at least to me, a logo or jersey number patch with at least three colors. It's better than a card of a guy I don't collect, of course, and I do really quite like it, but considering what I bought the redemption to receive and what I valued that card that was never sent out as, I don't see this as an equal replacement. The back of the redemption has "VALUED COLLECTOR" written across the top. Well, I don't feel particularly valued. Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Nowhere near an acceptable substitute IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like a lot of times we are not that valued. Our money is though.

    ReplyDelete