Thursday, March 28, 2013

An Ultimate White Whale Is Caught: John Wooden PSA/DNA Auto. (#UCLA)

I randomly came across a cool card on eBay and though I didn't win it I was inspired to check around for similar items of this iconic figure. One stood out from the rest and I decided I couldn't let the opportunity pass me by. Win or lose, I would try. When the dust settled, the below AMAZING autograph was mine and an all-time White Whale was secured in my collection.


John Wooden, one of the greatest, if not the greatest, coaches to ever lead a team and the preeminent figure at my Alma mater of UCLA. Seriously, I'm still surprised I landed this beauty, complete with PSA/DNA Certification. The photo is fantastic, showing the Coach teaching young minds; the picture of Wooden in the small oval near "UCLA Bruins" is just icing on this sweet cake. I began my studies at UCLA in 2009 and graduated in 2011 but never had the pleasure of meeting Coach Wooden before he passed in 2010. Owning his John Hancock was actually something I never really thought about, mostly because I assumed it would be crazy expensive. However, this cornerstone of my collection ran me just a paltry $16.05 delivered. Now, if I can only get a signature from Vin Scully to pair with The Wizard of Westwood....

10 comments:

  1. Great pick up and for that price I need to look for a copy of that. Sweet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooden was a great TTM signer for a long time, and I was too lazy to send to him. I regret it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean Keedy UCLA '93March 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM

    Always good to add a Wooden autograph, but it's hard to call something a whale when there are hundreds of copies of that card and they sell for so little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome price for that! Congrats man!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DP- Thanks! Good luck grabbing one and a Wooden ball!

    TLC- Seems like it, there are a ton of personalized items on eBay. Go grab one of these photos and make up for it! haha

    Sean- His autograph is still a whale in my book, even though it appears to have been an easier whale to snare than I originally anticipated it would be.

    Pirates Treasure- Thanks, I'm still massively stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice. i was able to get a ttm auto in 2009 for my son whose class was using coach wooden's success pyramid. he actually signed two photos for us. they are still hanging up on my son's bulletin board 4 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great purchase. I picked up one of these last year... but I'm pretty sure, I paid closer to $30.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gcrl- Thanks! And awesome, Wooden seems like he was a fantastic TTMer!


    Fuji- Thanks! It's a cool piece overall, congrats on grabbing one yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's sick! I have a Walton auto just like that and had an opportunity to pick up that same Wooden, but for $50! So great job picking that beauty up at that price!

    ReplyDelete
  10. DB- Thanks amigo! I've been eying the same Walton actually and the dual ones with Walton and Wooden and commemorative coins.

    ReplyDelete