Friday, December 23, 2022

I Got Bad Grades From PSA....But I Quite Like These Two Cards Anyways

Some people who submit cards spend a lot of time examining them to ensure they are only subbing the most pristine of cardboard. They will accept nothing less than a 9/10 and that's cool -- I respect collectors who only desire high-grade items in their various collections and/or inventory. If I like a card enough and the deal is right, the grade/condition is fairly irrelevant. I do enjoy my modern to look nicer as in theory it should, but I don't put a ton of time into any card I submit to grade.


The 2011 Topps Update Legends SPs are really awesome and this Babe Ruth as a pitcher on the Red Sox offering is very pretty. It has numerous corners issues and that's reflected in the grade of 6....but the card ran me nothing so for less than half a blaster (when blasters were reasonably-priced) I love having it in plastic. I only wish PSA would use the variety line and label it as "Legend SP."


Slightly better grade-wise is this 2016 Donruss base card of LeBron James. I only subbed it for two reasons -- it's a card directly following the Finals victory over Golden State after being down 3-1 in the series, and he's scoring over Kobe. The cool image and added touch of the Finals triumph made the fee to slab what was a free card an easy choice.

At the old employee price of $8 a pop, I most certainly did not put time in. Moving forward, I just won't submit something with an obvious flaw or something lower in value because the cost of the slab is too pricey for my liking. But on these two fun cards I have zero regrets regarding my subbing process or the results. They will display just as well no matter what the flip says.

No comments:

Post a Comment