Monday, March 13, 2023

Another Box Break of Archer: Pulling a Scott Houseman Sketch I Needed!

I could no longer resist the temptation and busted another box of Cryptozoic Archer that I had stashed away. I broke one in early 2014 and one in early February of 2023 and would open one every day if I could. It is genuinely my favorite product of all time, sport and non-sport. The base cards bring me joy, the inserts are hilarious, the autos are awesome, and the sketch cards are truly one of a kind gems. At this point I have everything Master Set-wise, so opening a box is an exercise entirely in adding a new sketch to the collection.

Season 1, Episode 10 - "Dial M For Mother"

The face I made when I pulled the sketch -- which I found within the first 8 packs and set aside to do last -- is the exact face you see on Cheryl Tunt as depicted in said sketch that I pulled. Joy would be an understatement as I'm still smiling as I type this post up, long after busting the box.


First, the sketch itself is absolutely amazing! Great color, a great character, and a great scene in which Dr. Krieger devises a machine that can better choke Cheryl as he has "weak woman-y hands" (the rest of the quote involves being choked by a child which she thought would be hot).

Scott Houseman is the mastermind behind this beautiful piece of artwork and after nearly 10 years I have finally added him to the Archer Collection. Pulling an artist I needed was the main priority/hope/desire and achieving that literally makes my day, my week, and my month. Any Houseman would have been exciting but to pull such a classic scene and such a well-crafted sketch is spectacularly thrilling!


My guaranteed auto is the late George Coe who portrayed Archer's trusted and loyal valet, Woodhouse. I always enjoyed any instance of Woodhouse getting a go on the screen and Coe has a really nice signature.

I really hope I can break a few more boxes down the road. Fingers crossed, although knowing it took almost ten years to break this one and the one in February will keep my expectations very, very tempered.

No comments:

Post a Comment