Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Clayton Kershaw and His Only Homer!

One of the cooler sports moments I recall watching came on April 1st of 2013. The Dodgers faced off on that eventful Opening Day against San Fran and I believe I was taking in the game with my pops. It was a nail-biting experience as neither offense got much going. When all was said and done, one single run crossed the plate and that runner did so in the most unexpected of ways....


Clayton Kershaw walloped his first and to this day only career home run off of reliever George Kontos in the 8th inning to provide the sole support for his sixth career shutout. He struck out seven while allowing four measly singles to the Giants. With the DH now in both leagues, the chances he hits another are sliiiiiiim.


Kershaw completed his Maddux in style and when I began collecting tickets I knew I had to pick this one up and add it to my Kid K PC. I've acquired a few over time -- a pair of PSA 8s and one PSA 6. All were bought raw and sent in for the slab treatment. My favorite, of course, has Clayton adorning the face of the ticket. Snagging one with Matt Kemp on it was an added bonus.


Do you have any memorable moments in the regular season burned into your brain? This game and Kersh's no-hitter are almost certainly my Top 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment