Friday, April 28, 2023

Ron Swanson and Crying: Only at Funerals and The Grand Canyon

One of my biggest collecting and television joys of all-time is Parks and Recreation. I came to the show a little late but instantly fell in love and came to the card set right away with the same love. I feverishly put together the Master Set and busted four boxes of the product (oh, I should've bought so much more). My first box remains the best box of anything I have opened as I pulled Nick Offerman and Aubrey Plaza signatures, the two cards I desired more than any other. But I've always been missing something from the set.

At long last, an inscription autograph has found its way to me! For as many signatures as Offerman contributed to the set, only 29 included inscriptions of memorable Ron Swanson quotes. Acquiring one has been a goal since the moment I knew they existed and this card was a definite Holy Grail type of item. They almost never popped up and when they did they were well out of my range.

Patience, as it so often does, pays off. I did not particularly care which inscription I ended up with so long as I ended up with one....but damn if this isn't a fantastic one to have! The line comes from Season 3, Episode 1: "Go Big or Go Home."

Ron coaches a youth basketball team and details his legendary Pyramid of Greatness with life lessons and musings, and as we all know:

Crying - Acceptable at Funerals and The Grand Canyon

Here's the reverse of this beautiful specimen. It's POP 2 for dual grade with only 1 higher but I would venture to say it's the only inscription or maybe one of two PSA has graded. I will never, ever part with this collection centerpiece -- this Cardboard Mount Rushmore staple. Long live Ron Fucking Swanson!

2 comments: