Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Putting Together A Gary Carter Trifecta.

The recent passing of Gary Carter alerted me to a fact I'm ashamed to say I did not previously know: Carter was born in my hometown, where I've grown up and spent my entire life. I knew he was a Dodger, though I don't remember his days in Los Angeles (seeing as I was three in 1991, his only season in Dodger blue), but not knowing he's a Culver City native is just shameful beyond belief. I also discovered he had committed to play football at UCLA before signing with the Expos and forgoing college. So, with this newfound knowledge, I've decided to put together a Carter Trifecta in remembrance of the Hall of Famer. Carter has also been added to the "Who I Collect" tab at the top of the blog.


I'm a third of the way there, as I scored this relic at my LCS some time ago for a dollar or two. It's actually been offered up in a trade or two previously, and nobody bit, which I'm happy about now, obviously. The full pinstripe from his Mets days is sweet. Now to track down an autograph and his rookie. I'm in no hurry to complete this Trifecta, especially considering the spike in prices for Carter cards with his passing.

R.I.P. Gary Carter, a great, great catcher, a wonderful person from what I've read, and one of the most successful people to ever come out of the tremendous city that is Culver City.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure there are other nice ones out there but when you're looking for an auto be sure to check out the 1999 Fleer SI. It pictures Gary on the SI cover and is on card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that's a nice one. I would definitely be down for that. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete