Friday, February 10, 2023

Implementing New Strategies -- Testing The Theory w/ Archer & Jason Durden

In my quest to procure as many 1/1 Sketch Cards from the Cryptozoic Archer release as I can get my hands on, I have had to think of new ways to acquire them from the wild. There were not a ton of boxes made and certainly not a ton when compared to the amount Topps/Panini/etc. puts out for most sports releases. I've come up with some creative ideas and one of those recently paid off with a whopping six new additions from one purchase.


All six of these beautiful sketches are Artist Proofs and all hail from Jason Durden. He's got a unique style that makes his work in the set very easy to pick out of a lineup and I could not resist snatching up all of these in one fell swoop. An added bonus is two of the characters are firsts for me and the collection.


First up is a brand new character in Anka Schlotz whose only appearance is the Season 2 premiere Swiss Miss. She torments Archer the entire episode by making advances despite being underage. Her "nickname" still makes me die laughing to this day: Countess Von Fingerbang.


Second we have Cheryl/Carol being choked out by Cyril aboard an airship in Season 1's Skytanic, episode number 7. She tells him to "look at me....look at and choke me" as they are engaged in extracurricular activities while on a mission.


Third is a wonderful two character sketch of Archer with Abelard, the dog from the pilot episode Mole Hunt that Archer allows into his apartment while drunk. Abelard is only allowed in as Archer wants to bed his owner. Ordinarily, Archer is staunchly against two things in his apartment -- dogs, and his mother. This is my first of the Greek-loving pug.


Fourth up is Pam and her dolphin puppet that she uses in HR. Anytime the dolphin puppet makes an appearance in an episode or a sketch, I am a happy camper.


Fifth in the rotation is Krieger's hologram virtual girlfriend Mitsuko whom I recently learned is voiced by the one and only Judy Greer! This is my first solo Mitsuko sketch to go along with a mostly Mitsuko offering that features an appearance by the good Doctor Krieger.


Finally, we round out the fun with Malory in her whipped cream "outfit" that made an appearance in a couple of episodes as she flirts via video conference with then KGB-head Nikolai Jakov. It is my second sketch depicting this scene from Season 2's penultimate episode, White Nights.

I have posted a ton of Archer over the years and it's seemed that not many watch the show. Do we have any fans of Sterling and the gang out there?

2 comments:

  1. Aw, that's a tease not sharing your creative idea that netted you the haul! Have you been reaching out to the artists directly, I'm guessing?

    My wife and I watched the first few seasons of Archer when they were relatively new, but for whatever reason stopped watching for a few years (burnout?), and have recently started over from season one, intending to catch up eventually. Loved Sealab and Frisky Dingo back in the day, and H. Jon since way back on Dr. Katz and Home Movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A magician never reveals his tricks! Lol, Frisky Dingo and Sealab are so underrated, love both of them! H Jon was also awesome in Lucy, Daughter of the Devil -- highly recommend.

      Delete