Thursday, December 10, 2009

Russ Mitchell Named To AFL All-Prospect Team

This is Mitchell's second honor of the year, after having won the Dernell Stenson Sportsmanship Award back in November.

I wouldn't call Mitchell a prospect though, as he's 24 (younger than I thought, I had guessed 26) and has never had a major league at-bat; he was drafted way back in 2003. The last player that I can remember still being a prospect, and in a similar situation to Mitchell's, who ended up making a major impact was Ryan Howard, and he came up so late simply because he was blocked at 1st base in Philly by future Hall Of Famer and recent Dodger Jim Thome.

Mitchell is only "blocked", and I use that term lightly, by James "Road" Loney. And I don't see a similar career path. Now Kyle Russell, that's a different story.

Either way, congrats to Mitchell for a season of recognition.

AFL All-Prospect Team.

No comments:

Post a Comment