Monday, July 25, 2011

Meeting Clayton Kershaw!!!

Clayton Kershaw appeared at Living Spaces in La Mirada on Saturday. I arrived a bit before 6 am for the 10 am signing, and on only three hours of sleep. Which wasn't the most intelligent decision I've ever made. Particularly because this weekend was probably the busiest weekend I've had in forever.

I digress.

I met up with DodgerBobble and Spiegel of Nomo's Sushi Platter immediately, as they had arrived prior to me and were kind enough to hold me a spot in line. Because they're swell guys.

Outside of some line shenanigans and a bum-rushing of the woman passing out wristbands, the event went pretty smoothly in my estimation. Clayton arrived on time, began signing shortly after ten, and we were on our way to meeting the great young lefty. DB, Spiegel, and I were about 215th or so in line, and we were out by 11:30, autographs in hand. Clayton was even nice enough to inscribe "2011 AllStar" on the opposite side of his John Hancock. A handshake and the day was complete.


It was a fantastic time hanging with the guys and talking with a few other people. I knocked off an item from my Bucket List, as I finally met the great Roberto Baly of Vin Scully Is My Homeboy fame; sent two team bags worth of cards DB's way; and even pulled off a trade, sending an extra Torii Hunter minor league bobblehead Spiegel's way, in exchange for a Don Drysdale nodder. By the way, that Hunter bobblehead is legitimately the most racist thing I've seen in forever. It looks like a white guy in blackface heading off to an 1800s minstrel show.

Seriously.

Many, many thanks to Clayton, as well as DB and Spiegel for saving me from missing out on meeting someone I greatly admire.

4 comments:

  1. Epic bobblehead signature! That is such a cool piece.

    And I agree on the Hunter. First thing that came to mind is the always sunny episode where they try to decide who played Murtaugh (sp?) better in Lethal Weapon 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great times,Zakwin! The Hunter may be one of my favorite bobbleheads. He is in the living room and he continues to stare at me with a huge smile on his face. His white teeth light up the room. I am getting some cards ready to send your way one of those old school tobacco cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it out.

    Up next, Matt Kemp. I'm thinking about that campout again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim- Gracias! And yeah, that Sunny episode was a classic. Oh, look what I found:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6XKpqQIpdQ

    Spiegel- Glad you like the Hunter!

    DB- Kemp X 2, hopefully haha.

    ReplyDelete