Tuesday, November 3, 2015

My First Foray Into 1951 Topps Ringside: Jim Jeffries, Heavyweight Champion!

One of my significantly less-stressed collections is vintage boxing cards. I picked up my first in a small purchase from Ernest of Blue Heaven fame over 5 years ago and if the price is right and I stumble upon one I'm more than happy to snatch it up.


1951 Topps Ringside is the epitome of vintage boxing in my eyes and I really wanted to add at least one from the iconic set to my collection. The Marciano, Robinson, and LaMotta are at the top of my list but prices are far too high for me to pull the trigger on one of that troika. Another one caught my eye, however, after we found a handful at work and threw them up online.

So, my first '51 Ringside features none other than Jim Jeffries, one-time heavyweight champion of the world (and apparently of the forest as it looks like he's standing atop a vast array of trees -- that may have drawn me to this card).

It did. Massively, as that's one gorgeous shot and fantastic piece of cardboard.


The simple yet great back complete with a short life story of Jim and his impressive resume. I'll almost certainly add a few more and one day grab my Big Three.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow that's just a fantastic card! I love that set. I think I have three or four of them. Like you I found the biggest names to be out of my comfort zone price-wise. But you never know. Congrats on a great 'get'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful looking card. Might need to find something from that set for my vintage card binder.

    ReplyDelete