Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Roy Campanella 1958 Bell Brand PSA 5!!!

My latest Roy Campanella pickup was acquired many months ago and is one of my absolute favorite pieces I have in my PC of the legendary backstop. I'm down to just needing oddballs for Campy outside of his '59 commemorative Topps card and '61 Topps MVP card. I generally make a big push when the rarer issues hit eBay and I was determined to land the below when it popped up.


Success! I paid for most of it with a tip from work after running a party and may have even used some eBay Bucks to fund its acquisition. Very little came out of pocket for this gorgeous PSA 5. I've seen some of these in more form-fitting PSA holders which I would actually prefer as my fear is the card will slide around with all of that extra room. Maybe I'll one day get it re-holdered. Maybe.


And here's the back of this beaut. Simple, filled with stats and a nice write-up about Roy, and that little bell at the bottom is pretty damn cool. This is also an extremely clean and aesthetically-pleasing EX, so I'm beyond thrilled to cross this need off of my Campanella Wants List.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! This is one of my favorite sets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah, I love this set. So fantastic.

      Delete
  2. Awesome card. You raise an interesting point regarding the holder. I never quite understood why even with the more form fitting holder, there is still enough room for the card to jostle around. I prefer PSA over SGC, but SGC seems to have a holder that fits snug so the card isn't going anywhere. Wish PSAs would be more like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      SGC holders are fantastic. Plus they just look better. Weird thing is this is a new PSA holder....I would think common sense would dictate a holder that was smaller.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful card! Congratulations on adding it to your collection. I can totally see why you'd be nervous. Kinda surprised at how much space is left in this hold. This card is in way too awesome condition. I'd almost be nervous shipping it to PSA to re-holder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Fuji! Yeah that kind of stuff always concerns me. Maybe one day if they're doing live work at a show or expo I'll hand it over.

    ReplyDelete