Tuesday, December 26, 2017

1959 Topps No. 550, Symbol of Courage: A Roy Campanella Tribute

One of my favorite customers came in a couple of weeks back just to hand me a piece of cardboard we had discussed a few days prior. It's a card I had yet to add to my Roy Campanella PC and one I wish never had to be produced. If not for an icy patch of road, it never would have been created.


Card number 550 in the 1959 Topps set was an unfortunate reality after Campy's car hit that patch of road on the night of January 28, 1958. If Roy played today I don't believe the accident would have ever occurred as he would have made so much more money that owning the liquor store he was driving home from -- the one that supplemented his baseball income -- would not have been a necessity.


I rarely show the backs of cards but this one is a must. Thanks Larry!

3 comments:

  1. Always loved Campy...that's an awesome card that I'd like to have some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this card! The Commish donated one to my collection a few years ago and it's easily one of my favorite cards.

    ReplyDelete