Friday, March 23, 2018

1972 Icee Bear Project -- # 8: Austin Carr SP, Slabbed A PSA 8

Here's the eighth entry into my 1972 Icee Bear PSA 8 project, and it's one of four short-prints in the set. Austin Carr was a name I was entirely unfamiliar with before starting this project. Cursory research revealed he was the first overall pick in the 1971 NBA Draft, is known as Mr. Cavalier (someone else likely disagrees with that), and was part of the Notre Dame squad that beat UCLA men's basketball immediately prior to its record-setting wins streak.


$7.69 delivered is more than good in my book. I'm guessing whomever sent the card in for grading originally paid more than that to simply slab it. I'm nearing the halfway mark on this journey much quicker than I ever expected to.

3 comments:

  1. I remember him at Notre Dame. Big time upset of UCLA. Still have the SI with him on cover after game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw him put up almost 50 on my Houston Cougars in the 1971 Regional in Wichita. The good guys won though. Too bad it was the 3rd place game. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been picking up vintage that have been graded by PSA and I can't figure out how people can sell things for such low prices. This card is the perfect example. $7.69 delivered? It had to cost at least $2 to ship. Factor in the price of the card, the cost to get the card graded, and eBay fees (if the card was purchased on eBay) and the buyer is losing money. Anyways... congratulations on the purchase. Their loss... is our gain.

    ReplyDelete