Tuesday, July 17, 2018

A Stellar Roy Campanella Pickup: 1952 Star-Cal Decals Type 1, PSA Authentic! (Birthday Posting)

I didn't just buy this card or just get it graded. I've had it for some time but now that I have finally gotten around to scanning it in and posting it I figured showcasing it on my birthday would be a nice way to celebrate and might feel like I was getting this on this one-step-closer-to-30-years-old day.


This is one of my absolute favorite Roy Campanella cards as I love the combination of aesthetically-pleasing, super oddball, and bright colors. It's a 1952 Star-Cal Decals Type 1 in the original red envelope these beauties came in. I bought it raw and sent it in to PSA through work. It came back as Authentic and I believe they only receive a numerical grade when they are graded free of the envelope.


Campy shares a Type 2 Star-Cal with Jackie Robinson, but that will have to wait for a day in the future where I have a nice chunk of change burning a hole in my wallet.

13 comments:

  1. Sweet Campy item. I like the Star Cals a lot...for one thing they are not something you see very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks commish! They definitely don't come up often. I've seen just a handful of Campys over the years.

      Delete
  2. Never seen one of these before. Wonderful "card" for sure! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, BB4L! I sent a PWE your way this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great hard to find collectible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've really been killin' it with the vintage stuff as of late.

    Oh, and apparently we share a birthday, so that's something. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been on quite the vintage kick! It's so much fun and I almost never regret the purchase in any way even if I later decide I'm not super into the item.

      And sweet! Happy Birthday to you Jon! Charley Steiner also shares the day with us.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday! A sealed 1952 pack? Wow. This is an awesome piece of history!

    ReplyDelete