Saturday, July 21, 2018

T206 Pickup: Bill Bergen, Catching Pose, Sweet Caporal Back, PSA 2.5

I picked up a couple T206s from work, essentially as a birthday gift to myself. I had some extra hours to put to use and some un-spent cash left over from previous ventures. The first card I grabbed is another Dodger to cross off of the list.


Bill Bergen, despite his offensive ineptitude, garnered two poses in the set and both are fantastic pieces of artwork. The catching pose is tougher in my experience and one I did not know even existed until a month or two ago. When I saw my boss had gotten this back in a batch from PSA, I had to jump on it.


The card came back a PSA 2.5 due to some paper loss on the back that is so minor it can only be seen under a good-quality light. The beautiful front is all I care about and it's such a pretty picture.

This is actually my third card of Bergen and I didn't recall owning the other two before checking my posting history. He shares a T201 Mecca Double Folder with PTSIA favorite Zack Wheat and is also on a T202 Triple Folder, of which I own a low-grade version of his singular panel.

As with any post on Bergen, I must mention he's probably most well-known for being dubbed the worst hitter in baseball history of any regular....and his brother, also a major league catcher, brutally murdered his family with an axe.

6 comments:

  1. wow quite the fact at the end there, nice card though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's a really sad read...his brother suffered from mental illness which at the time, obviously, wasn't treated correctly almost ever.

      Delete
  2. 2.5? Crazy nice for that grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn. Depressing way to wrap up a post about such a beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete