Monday, September 30, 2019

My First 1962 Mars Attacks Cards!

I review orders at work and one customer's order many months ago immediately sent me to eBay to rectify a hole in my collection. A huge chunk of the order was 1962 Mars Attacks and while I obviously knew the set decently well, looking up prices on so many of the cards also gave me the opportunity to look at the images once again. It is such a visually-stunning set and was so far ahead of its time that I knew I needed to nab one or two for myself.


I went the mid-grade route and couldn't be happier with my purchases. I landed # 45, Fighting Giant Insects, in a PSA 4. I mean, just look at it....purely magnificent in every possible way imaginable.


The second card -- also in a PSA 4 -- is # 50, Smashing The Enemy. I don't think there is any way this set could be made today without getting a company in major hell from offended people. Thankfully, the '60s were a different time or at least a time devoid of social media.

I intend on grabbing more of these beauts in PSA 4 form, although there is absolutely no rush. It'll be a long-term project/goal.

2 comments:

  1. Those cards are great. It's cool that the card set turned into such a cult phenomenon and even spawned a Tim Burton movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've owned some of the reprints before, but never an original. I might need to do something about though. Seeing that Smashing the Enemy card reminded me of the 1938 Horrors of War set... which probably wouldn't be accepted by people today either. I want a single from that set as well.

    ReplyDelete