Thursday, November 7, 2019

Tris Speaker T206 Pickup: Sweet Caporal 350/Factory 30 Back, Slabbed a PSA 1!

Here's one of the most aesthetically-appealing and pleasing cards out there, from any set and any era. I saw this card cross my desk and noted that I needed to follow along when it hit the auction block in case it stayed within my range. It did and I was able to land it for less than VCP.


This is my first card of Hall of Famer Tris Speaker. For a PSA 1 it presents very well and is a most welcome addition to my T206 Collection. Speaker was such a renowned fielder that his glove was referred to as "Where Triples Go To Die" which is a simply fantastic nickname.

Speaker was a member of three World Series winners; won an MVP award; was player-manager of the Indians for 8 years; was both a telegraph lineman and cowpuncher prior to reaching the bigs; was one of the first managers to utilize a platooned lineup, and was reportedly a member of the KKK although he did help Larry Doby upon the latter's arrival in Cleveland.

Post-career Speaker owned his own wholesale wine and liquor business; headed up the Cleveland Boxing and Wrestling Commission; and was President of the short-lived National Professional Indoor Baseball League.

5 comments:

  1. Whoa! That's a beaut' for sure! One of the top 5 white whale cards I aspire to one day obtain. Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza. Sweet Caporal! Dude this card is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really nice 1! Usually when I see cards from this set with that grade, they tend to look like somebody's been using them for origami.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks gents! The eye appeal was a major selling point!

    ReplyDelete