Wednesday, January 25, 2023

1934 Quaker Oats Premium Photo Pickup: The One and Only Babe Ruth!!

I've always gravitated towards oddball issues for some reason. I can't explain it but finding a weird food issue or regional issue brings a fun and joyous aspect to the pickup beyond just adding a card I like to whatever collection relates to said acquisition. Today's featured item certainly fits the bill of excellent pickup with the oddball background:

This stunning 1934 Quaker Oats Premium Photo of the Great Bambino is a wonderful addition to my Sultan of Swat PC. It's not a new pickup by any means -- I bought this raw off of eBay and had it graded and in-hand all before late 2020/early 2021 -- but I had totally forgotten about posting it. I bought this so long ago they were actually affordable and undervalued by the hobby despite their sheer awesomeness. Their affordability has long gone away but the beauty still remains.

I love the post-swing pose and facsimile auto on this piece, as well as the oversized nature of the premium and it being a promotional piece one could acquire through Quaker Oats by joining "Babe Ruth's Base Ball Club" as the writing at the bottom indicates. Babe was heavily promoted by Quaker Oats after becoming a spokesman and the company put out a ton of collectible items, including the metal pin I posted about in March of '22.

Here's the back of this highly condition-sensitive piece. It's very susceptible to cracking and creasing which has never really bothered me as I like the idea that some kid joined the club in the '30s, received this in the mail, and enjoyed the hell out of owning it....

...just as I have and will continue to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment