Monday, July 17, 2023

Jackie Robinson, Jews, and My Birthday -- To Quote Rick James, It's A Celebration Bitches!

July 17th of 1947 was one of the key reasons that today's featured ticket stub was a must-have for my ticket collection. July 17th is my birthday, first and foremost, and owning a stub from a vintage Dodgers game on that date is just cool. When the legendary Jackie Robinson has career hit number 101 in that game and is a rookie, well, a trifecta of awesomeness has occurred!

The Pirates clobbered the Blue Crew on that day, but a certain Pirate made a contribution I had to have noted on the flip. Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg launched career homer number 321 while driving in two and walking twice. I only think of him as a Tiger but as one of the game's preeminent Jewish players I was thrilled he was a big part of this game along with Jackie.

Any item added to my modest but growing Jackie Collection is a welcome and cherished piece of history in my eyes. Rookie year pieces are harder and harder to come by without breaking the bank. When I bought this, I believe I paid $20 for this and $20 for another rookie year offering from the same seller. You can't touch '47 Dodger stubs at that price anymore so I am very pleased to have stumbled upon them when I did and had the foresight to buy them.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool, and at $20?! Happy Birthday, let's party like it's 1999.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday from a fellow 7/17 birthday boy!

    ReplyDelete