Sunday, July 22, 2012

My Best In-Person Autograph Experience: Matt Kemp.

First, let me say upfront I've never had a bad in-person autograph experience. Sure, there have been some line shenanigans and long waits, but I've always been able to get the autograph and chill with fantastic people during the waits. My best experience - to answer Fuji's latest contest question - isn't even close, however. Meeting Matt Kemp after camping out for 14 and a half-ish hours is easily the most fun I've had at an event.


I was able to get the above 8x10 signed by The Bison himself, who added his number and was kind enough to oblige my request for the "The Bison" inscription. I had it framed a while back, and the white frame was an easy choice, though the picture doesn't do it near enough justice. It was such a memorable experience for me beyond the obvious reason of meeting my favorite player. The campout was tremendous fun, and I got to spend it with some truly wonderful people. Matt actually bought dinner for everybody in line, which is just a class move on his part; I got to meet his agent, former Dodger Dave Stewart, and pose for a picture with him; and it came at a time in my life when I really needed an entirely positive experience (line shenanigans aside).


Heck, that fantastic night/day also propelled me to a finalist spot in Beckett's contest for a Sandy Koufax autograph. That contest continues, by the by, with voting ending on August 8th.

All in all, it's one of those things in life you always carry with you, and I'll never forget the experience and what it meant to me, not just in that specific moment, but going forward as well.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... that's one heck of an IP experience. Glad Mr. Kemp cheered you up. The free dinner sounds like icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete