Thursday, April 28, 2016

Hidden Rarity = eBay Steals (Archer!)

The seventh season of Archer premiered a couple of weeks ago so I know where half an hour of my Thursday nights will be spent for the next few months. I've thoroughly enjoyed collecting the 2014 Cryptozoic Archer set and my Master Set is complete. I'm filling in the edges with sketches from artists not in my collection and seeking a sketch of Ray, the last main character I need. Pickups are few and far between particularly with a lack of new stuff showing up.


I've lost a few auctions and passed on others, trying to maximize my dollars. However, when this awesome sketch of Archer's nemesis Barry Dylan popped up I knew I'd take a solid run at it. I only had one sketch of Barry's crazy ass in my collection and this particular sketch is a great example of the tremendous artwork found in the product.

I secured it for $9.70 which was enough to make me happy. I became thrilled while the card was en route as I had bid on it without knowing the artist. The seller didn't know either and if he had known and included the artist's name the card would have sold for at least 10 times as much as Dominic Prestera is one of the rare artists who also worked on the actual show as a background painter. His name comes up clearly on the scan but even in-hand and knowing where to look for his signature it's nearly impossible to see it with the naked eye.

That worked out to my benefit as the cheapest sketch of his currently on eBay is listed at a cool BIN price of $300. He is by far one of the harder artists to track down as he drew 14 sketches, give or take.

6 comments:

  1. What a steal! That's quite the fortuitous discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shouldn't Barry's eyes be red here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg,
    The Bellinger purple auto is available for trade. Email me at quinniethetrumpetman (at) yahoo (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg,
    The Bellinger purple auto is available for trade. Email me at quinniethetrumpetman (at) yahoo (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete