Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Koufax 1998 Donruss Signature Series Significant Sigs Auto: BGS 9.5-9 AU!

Every Dodgers' collection needs within it an autograph of the one and only Sandy Koufax. Longtime readers may remember I was once vying to acquire one via a contest that, shall we say, through nefarious means didn't go as I thought and hoped it would. So landing one remained a high priority. Thankfully, enough eBay patience paid off and I bought one raw for a pretty solid deal. It was sent in to BGS through Penguin (thanks as always buddy!) and it returned months ago.


On-card and complete with that beautiful Brooklyn B! This beaut hails from the Significant Signatures subset of 1998 Donruss Signature Series. I like the simple end of windup shot of Sandy and the overall design is just very appealing. This might be the greatest auto set ever in terms of the checklist. It tempts me when I don't need to expand my collecting interests in any way, shape, or form.


A later in life Sandy is found on the reverse along with the 0423/2000 serial number. The card earned quad 9.5s to garner the BGS 9.5 holder, but the John Hancock did get a disappointing 9. I say disappointing because while Penguin has explained to me BGS's reasoning, the auto being slightly darker in a couple spots in my mind does not constitute streakiness. I've seen far worse autos get a 10.

I'm not parting with this card barring anything unforeseen, so it's not a deal-breaker by any means, but my personal opinion has always been that if there is not a break in an autograph, no full streaks, and it doesn't run off of a sticker, it's a 10. So in my mind this 9.5-9 is really a 9.5-10.

Unlike the folks at Beckett, that signature has tremendous 10 eye appeal any day of the week and twice on the high holidays. And I seriously love this card.

12 comments:

  1. That's the signed Koufax that I have in my collection as well. I love it.

    I don't think I have ever noticed that Beckett separately grades signatures. Seems silly to me. Sandy signed it...that's all I care about.

    Congrats on the great add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks commish! Yeah, BGS always does. PSA I believe is starting to do it more and they're also more lenient when it comes to the signature grade itself.

      Delete
  2. Yeesh. I'd love to have one in my collection. Great pickup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For collectors who want an affordable Koufax autograph, this one is the way to go. In fact... this whole set seems like a bargain. Any plans on getting the refractor version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would gladly take as many of the Koufaxs (new versions or dupes) as I could if my wallet wouldn't kill me for trying haha.

      Delete
  4. That is just plain awesome. Congrats man!

    ReplyDelete