Thursday, July 26, 2018

A Vintage Campanella Variation: 1950 R423 Purple Back, Graded A PSA 6!

Here's one of those weird vintage variations that you just sometimes stumble upon by happenstance. I was unaware that the Roy Campanella 1950 R423 had back color variations, but it does. When the below hit eBay, I would have been interested even if it was the Orange I already owned. However, it was even more intriguing as it was a new color I could add to my Campy Collection.


The Orange Back (which I erroneously called Red the first time around....thanks, color blindness!) is joined by this beautiful Purple Back. It's been graded a PSA 6 and was roughly the same price as the PSA 4 Orange I bought.


I love when the card back scans in better than the front. I only recall two of these graded Roy R423s ever hitting eBay and I'm happy to have landed both of them.

5 comments:

  1. Neat little oddball. Now you need the green back...LOL Great pickup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just the case, cuz I would more call that microfilm. Damn, it is tiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's tiny.....phrasing boom.

      They came in gumball machines....maybe? It's thin cardstock either way.

      Delete
  3. The making of a rainbow. Other than the green mentioned by Commish... how many other colors are there?

    ReplyDelete