Friday, May 8, 2015

T206 Pickup: Brooklyn's Whitey Alperman, Slabbed a PSA 2.5!

As part of that large Dave and Adam's purchase I made back in January, I nabbed the below pre-war card. I needed to hit the free shipping mark and I wanted to diversify my order and grab a little bit of everything. This certainly hit both needs.


Whitey was never actually a Dodger, as during his time in Brooklyn (1906-1909) the team was known as the Superbas. I couldn't pass on the card as it's quite a nice 2.5 and the price was more than in my wheelhouse. We have this exact card at my job -- and for the same price -- but this one being slabbed and in better condition sealed the deal. Shhhh....don't tell my bosses!

Alperman posted a career line of .237/.268/.331/.599 in 450 games, all with Brooklyn. He holds a distinction only a fan of not clogging the bases could love: he posted the "lowest single-season walk rate of the twentieth century in 300 or more plate appearances" when he drew just two free passes in 442 plate appearances in 1909, per Baseball Reference. As BR notes, he was actually hit by more pitches in his four-year career (39) than times he drew a walk (30).

Dude's middle name was Augustus though....

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete